Motorists urged to steer clear of interchange
Interstate 5 will be closed at Genesee Avenue overnight August 6-12 while crews demolish and remove the old freeway overpass. Motorists should steer clear of the area or take alternative routes to avoid potential congestion.
From 9 p.m. on Saturday, August 6 to 9 a.m. on Sunday, August 7, I-5 northbound and southbound will be closed at Genesee Avenue.
During the week of August 8-12, each night between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., there will be intermittent one direction freeway closures.
Additionally, there will be ramp closures and reduced eastbound and westbound lanes on Genesee Avenue during these times. Please view our online closure list for details.
During the full freeway closure of northbound
and southbound I-5 lanes overnight on August 6, motorists will be detoured to the Interstate 805, State Route 163, State Route 52, and Interstate 8 freeways. During partial freeway closures on August 8-12, motorists will be detoured at the interchange to the Genesee Avenue o –
ramp and re-enter using the on-ramp across the intersection. Please view the detour map for details. Signs will be placed to alert motorists in advance.
Delays are expected. Motorists and people on bikes are advised to plan their travel accordingly and avoid the area, if possible. Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained. Pedestrian access on Genesee Avenue is closed during construction.
Access real-time tra c info through any of these resources: 511SD, Caltrans QuickMap, WAZE, Google Maps, or Shift San Diego. Please note: construction schedules are subject to change. We appreciate your patience as we work to improve the interchange.
About the Project
The $105 million project will replace the existing six-lane Genesee Avenue overpass with a ten-lane structure that will include additional vehicle lanes, new bike lanes and sidewalks, and better accommodate current and future tra c demands in the San Diego region. The I-5/Genesee Avenue Interchange Project is expected to be completed in 2017.
Here are the closures:
The list below shows planned overnight closures at the Interstate 5 (I-5)/Genesee Avenue Interchange. Motorists and people on bikes are advised to plan their travel and avoid the area, if possible.
Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained. Pedestrian access is closed throughout construction. Closures for 9 p.m. Saturday,
August 6 to 9 a.m. Sunday, August 7 All I-5 northbound and southbound lanes. Northbound on-ramp from Gilman Drive.
- Northbound on-ramp from La Jolla Village Drive.
- Northbound on-ramp from SR 52.
- Connector from southbound SR 56 local bypass to southbound I-5. Southbound traffic will be detoured to I-805.
- Northbound traffic will be detoured to eastbound I-8 and eastbound SR 52 freeways.
- Reduced eastbound and westbound lanes on Genesee Avenue. Closures for Monday – Friday, August 8 – 12, each night 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Intermittent one direction closures on I-5 northbound and southbound lanes. Northbound on-ramp from La Jolla Village Drive.
- Connector from southbound SR 56 local bypass to southbound I-5.
- Starting at 11:30 p.m., traffic will be detoured to Genesee Avenue off-ramp and re-enter I-5 using the on-ramp.
- Reduced eastbound and westbound lanes on Genesee Avenue.
- Please note construction schedules are subject to change. Closures are weather permitting.