Have another person help you decide on the height. One of the best ways to decide on the perfect height of your pendant light is to get someone else to lower or raise the light while you stand a distance away to see how it all looks.
Think about what effect you want from this lamp. Think about what you want from the pendant light. Is it meant to provide a bright light for working or a soft mood light? A chandelier might overwhelm a small space while a more utilitarian lamp could look too harsh for your living area.
Decide if the lamp’s purpose and design will match the room’s décor. A light fixture made of chrome or stainless steel will look sleek and modern. Blown glass gives an artistic feel. Chandeliers are more romantic and elegant.
Edit ArticleHow to Determine a Proper Height to Hang a Dining Chandelier
Usually when over a table in a dining room it should be about 5 feet from the ground if the ceiling is 7-8 feet.
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
If it was over a dining room table the light should illuminate the whole table to the top of the chair backs. This keeps the harshest part of the light out of the eyes while sitting. Typically 66 inches off the floor is best.
Hang a lamp over a kitchen table or island. Start with 28 to 34 inches (71.1 to 86.4 cm), measuring from the bottom of the hanging light and the surface of your table. This range will be your base measurement.
Use it as a rough guideline when planning the placement of your light. When hanging a light over a table, be sure to plan for the height of the people that may use that space. Nobody wants a light glaring in his or her eyes or knocking them in the head while they are chopping vegetables.
Just add another foot to the chain hanging from the ceiling so that your chandelier is 60 inches from the floor.
There is a standard height to hang a chandelier over a dining room table. This article will teach you what the proper height is to hang a chandelier over a dining room table.
4. Entry or hallway pendant lights will also depend if they are hung where people will need to walk under them or to the side. If for example you want to hang one or two pendant lights at either side of a mirror in the entry, consider hanging these at (or just above) eye level — you don’t want to knock your head on these but their purpose is to illuminate your face so hanging them too high won’t suit this task. If you intend to hang pendant lights to walk under, we recommend hanging them at 2.4m (but keep reading on about ceiling heights). 5. Bathroom pendant lights are generally hung by the mirror or at times in a corner near the bath. Just like in the entry, you want to hang bathroom pendant lights at or just above eye level, close to the wall so people won’t bump their heads on it. Something to consider with pendants by the mirror is that while they look great, it can prevent you from having face level storage which can be more valuable in a bathroom. This is why Gina has only opted for a pendant in her powder room and other sources of light in the main bathroom and ensuite.
At what height should I put a mini pendant from the ceiling in the living room? Or, how much room from the floor?
Have you got any other tips for hanging pendant lights? We’d love you to share them in the comments below!
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 395,175 times.
Provide plenty of clearance for your taller family members and friends. Even if there is technically enough room, people still have a tendency to duck their heads if a light feels too low. When hanging pendant lights over a kitchen island or counter, plan for about one lamp for every two feet of counter space.
This will provide enough light for a proper working space. Consider a retractable cord for your fixture that will allow you to vary the light amount it gives.
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 33,040 times.
Measure the distance between the table and the light fixture. The bottom of your light fixture should be 30 to 34 inches (76.2 to 86.4 cm) above the table.
By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube.
You can hang it higher if you prefer, especially if it is made of a solid material that you can’t easily see through. Ensure that it will still cast enough light onto the table. You want to be able to easily see other people sitting at the table.
Practice walking across the room or sitting down at the table while your partner holds the light in place. This will allow you to make sure the lamp is not blocking your view, knocking into your head, or interfering in any way with your routine.
Next articlePatrick’s bigger boy room: Unisex bear theme nursery / child’s room
It doesn’t matter the size of your table – you need to be concerned about the height of the fixture from the floor. In most cases, it should be 60 inches from the floor to the bottom of the fixture. 12 feet less 5 feet (60 inches) would give you a chain length of about 7 feet.
As mentioned above, you can try a mock up with a piece of cardboard and a string to get the exact length you need. You don’t want the fixture blocking the view of other people sitting around your table.
You might like to also check out these tips on kitchen lighting. 2. Dining pendant lights vary significantly depending on the style of light you choose. In Gina’s new house, she has chosen the black Droplet light by Copper ID which is a sleek design that lends itself to being hung lower. Whereas if you opted for a highly decorative or much larger pendant, you would hang it higher to avoid it blocking eye line across the table. A general recommendation is to hang your dining pendant 75cm higher than your table top but we believe scale is everything so keep reading for our tips on this.
If you want to be completely sure about the right height, take a piece of cardboard, cut it into an “X” shape and suspend it from the ceiling with a piece of string over your table – this will allow you to make minor adjustments.
A chandelier that is mostly made of glass will be less visually obtrusive than a chandelier with more solid metal parts. You want to be able to see your guests easily without the chandelier interfering with your view.
If you ceiling is higher than 8 feet (2.4 m), you can adjust the height accordingly based on the height of the table, plus the height of the chandelier above the table. For example, if you have a 9 foot (2.
7 m) ceiling, add another foot to the chandelier cord/chain, and so on. You might want to experiment with a piece of cardboard and string to get it exactly right.
Is it okay to hang a chandelier higher so it doesn’t block anyone’s view?
Hang a lamp over the floor. Plan for roughly 84 to 96 inches (213.4 to 243.8 cm) from the bottom of the light to the floor. You should provide at least 1 foot (0.3 m) of clearance for the person walking below.
Calculate according to the height of the ceiling. For an 8-foot ceiling, a pendant lamp should hang about 12 to 20 inches (30.5 to 50.8 cm) below. For each additional foot of ceiling height, add 3 inches (7.
How do I find out what diameter a pendant should be for a pendant lamp?
Is there a winning formula or height to always hang your pendants? Truth is, it depends on a few key things:
Pendant lighting is an ideal way to add light to your surroundings as well as adding something decorative and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. These days, with so many funky and decorative pendant lighting designs available, it is easy to see why more and more homeowners are choosing to add pendant lights to their décor. If you are one of them, you may be thinking the number one question that many people have when they buy a pendant lamp: How high do I hang it? Here is a good guide for choosing the proper height for your lamp.
Hang it even higher, so no one can possibly bump into it, if it is a translucent and solid chandelier.
With a 12′ ceiling, and 8′ long table, how high should the bottom of a 3′ chandelier be?
Pendants are such a beautiful addition to your home — adding drama, interest or luxe-factor to any room — yet when they’re hung too high or low, it can make them look completely out of place.
I have three pendant lights for over breakfast bar height? Stager lengths?
1. Kitchen pendant lights should generally be hung 70-80cm above the island bench. However, if you have higher ceilings, you will need to raise them slightly… but by how much? A rule some interior designers use is to add 7-8cm for each 30cm. For example, if your ceiling height is 2.4m instead of 2.1m, you would hang your kitchen pendant 78-88cm above your island bench instead of 70-80cm.
6. Bedroom pendant lights are generally hung either side of the bed or in the centre of the room. Pendants on either side of the bed are used instead of table lamps so an easy way to consider the ‘right height’ would be to visualise hanging them at a table lamp shade height — be sure to allow a minimum of 30-50cm from your bedside table top so you have space for bedside styling. It’s also worth noting that often smaller pendants are hung lower while larger pendants can be hung higher — in this room more than any other in the house, your personal preferences will determine the best height for your bedside pendants. We like the look of Dea’s bedroom below where she hung the pendant lights slightly above the height of the bedhead. 7. Consider scale by looking at the size and style of your pendant and the space it will be hung. All the ‘general’ rules of measure we mention above can get thrown out the window if you have a huge statement light or cluster of smaller lights.
9. Place furniture or mark out room so you know exactly what you’re working with. We often see people get caught out when they ‘think’ they know the size of the furniture in a space, fix the lights, and then find the lights are way too high or low.
Español: determinar la altura correcta para una lámpara colgante, Italiano: Stabilire la Giusta Altezza per una Lampada a Sospensione, Русский: определить нужную высоту для потолочного светильника, Português: Determinar a Altura Apropriada Para Uma Luminária, Deutsch: Die passende Höhe für eine Hängelampe herausfinden
Previous articleOver halfway through the office #stylecuratorchallenge
Did you try these steps?Upload a picture for other readers to see.
10. Stand back and check as the final test to getting the height right is your personal preference.
Consider where you want the lamp to hang. Consider the size of your light. As a general rule of thumb, a larger light can be moved higher while a smaller light can be moved lower. Consider the size of the room.
How tall is the ceiling? Rooms with unusually high ceilings require lights that are bigger and hang lower. If you are hanging the light over a table or a kitchen island, think about the size of that as well.
If you have a large table, you can get away with hanging your lamp slightly higher up. Also, look at the shape of your table. Is it round, square, or rectangular? If you have a rectangular table, an island, or a counter, you will likely need more than one hanging pendant light.
Measure the depth of table. Most dining tables are 28 to 30″ high (29 inches being most common).
How high should pendant lights be hung over a kitchen counter?
Three Parts:Asking Yourself the Right QuestionsMeasuring the Proper HeightGetting a Second OpinionCommunity Q&A
3. Staircase pendant lights can look ah-mazing when done right. The most important thing to consider here is allowing plenty of clearance for people to walk under — at least 2.1-2.4m so your tall guests don’t feel the need to duck when they walk up your stairs. If you have a large staircase and the pendant will be hung to the side (so there’s no need for guests to walk under) you may want to consider hanging one or more lights at eye level.
8. Consider ceiling height and the guide we gave you above of hanging lights around 8cm higher per 30cm above standard ceiling height. As the volume of space between your furniture and the ceiling grows, you need to balance this by slightly lifting your lights.
Awesome picture! Tell us more about it? Click here to share your story.
Despite these variables there are some tricks to getting it right!
Pendant lighting should only be installed by a qualified electrician as it involves wiring electrical appliances. In addition, some types of chandelier lighting can be heavy.
Measure the distance between the chain of the chandelier and the ceiling. In a room with an 8 foot (2.4 m) ceiling, the cord/chain would be 3 feet (0.9 m) long, leaving your chandelier about 60 inches (152.4 cm) off the floor.
Edit ArticleHow to Determine The Proper Height For A Pendant Lamp