7. Here’s a nearly identical look from One Fine Stay but, but we love that they’re suspended over the kitchen sink instead of island.
3. A tiny kitchen is no match for an eye-catching chandelier. Bring instant glamour and drama to even the smallest of kitchens with a swanky crystal chandelier, like we spotted in this home tour.
14. A sculptural light fixture, like this sputnik-style flush mount chandelier we saw on Nordic Design, brings an artful element to a neutral kitchen.
Shop the Look: Millennium Lighting RDBC10-SB at Lighting Direct, $66
36. A clean row of compact metallic pendants, like these small but shapely ones from Ben and Viv’s home tour, brightens up a neutral kitchen without sacrificing the laidback vibes.
17. This lighting solution in particular is specifically inspiring for anyone who doesn’t want to hardwire a sconce to a wall. A clamp light like the one in this scene from Domino can go anywhere you see fit and looks unexpectedly styling while doing so.
Shop the Look: 4 Spotlight Ceiling Track Light at Houzz $256
Shop the Look: Selamat Justina Blakeney Fela Tassel Chandelier at Shop Candelabra, $194
(Images — 1: Etsy; 2: West Elm; 3:My Deco Blog; 4: Etsy; 5: Knack Studios; 6: IKEA 2012 Preview: Stylists’ Design Ideas Worth Stealing; 7: Webber + Studio, Architects via Houzz.com; 8: Victorian Mini Pendant Lights by Wilmette Lighting via The Lighting Blog; 9: Fresh Home via Nemm Design + Lifestyle; 10: Kitchen Renovations: Best Decisions & Biggest Regrets)
Shop the Look: Isaac Sconce Brass (Short Arm) at Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co., $199
11. We think a shapely paper lantern similar to the one we spotted on Ute and Steven Faure’s home tour brings depth and definition to a lofty open kitchen layout without sacrificing the space’s airy vibes.
Shop the Look: Sleeping Partners Pendant Chandelier at Bed Bath and Beyond, $72
19. Shapely pendant lamps in the same color palette as the rest of your kitchen, like these white ones from Mim Design, make a stylish statement without distracting from the rest of the scene.
4. A fringed chandelier, like this Victorian-style one we spotted on Thomas Rook, is a fun way to play with texture in your kitchen.
28. If your sink is against a wall (or better yet, a picture window), consider adding a sconce just above the area. A small pendant or even a sconce similar to the one here from Style Me Pretty provides just enough light without distracting from the room’s other interesting fixtures.
Shop the Look: Curvilinear Mid-Century Sconce, Double, Black at West Elm, $299
Shop the Look: Sculptural Glass 7-Light Linear Chandelier at West Elm, $558
21. For a full-on glam look, pair gold sconces and antique brass pendant lights together, but keep things modern with black hardware and other fixtures like we saw in this kitchen from Domino).
8. You don’t often think of bringing table lamps into a kitchen, but when your overhead lighting just isn’t cutting it, the home of Tiffany Pratt proves it totally works. Keep the lamp delicate and thin as not to take up too much valuable counter space.
15. While surely you could fit a slender pendant anyway, sometimes in a space this compact, a flush mount is the way to go to not further cramp up the small space, as in Sara Blake’s kitchen.
16. A pair of basket-style woven pendant lights brings texture and visual interest to an airy earth-toned kitchen, like in Carina’s kitchen on Apartment Therapy.
31. You can’t really spot them in this image, but above the black-and-white pendants and pothos-filled rack in Joe and Kim’s kitchen hides two run-of-the-mill builder-grade flush mounts. This is such a smart way to cover something you don’t love without ripping it out!
Apartment Therapy supports our readers with carefully chosen product recommendations to improve life at home. You support us through our independently chosen links, many of which earn us a commission.
35. Jar-style ceiling lights, like these we spotted on Meg, Joe, & Wells Piercy’s home tour, balance out an ultra modern kitchen with a slightly rustic touch.
1. Anthropologie supplies a variety of antique silver pendants ranging from $58 to $128. At $58 this eclectic little number dispells a warm glow through its textured mercury glass.2. The Jayson Home Vintage Pendant portrays authentic-looking charm at $125.3. In a variety of colors, at $169 each, the Barnlight Ivanhoe Porcelain Pendant is made of porcelain enamel and suited for both indoor and outdoor use. 4. This 1940’s style Enamel Factory Pendant is available at Terrain for $299. 5. At $225 the Alhambra Belgian Industrial Pendant Light combines a sleek form with a pop of color for an retro inspired, industrial feel. 6. The Louis Poulsen Todbold 120 pendant comes in 5 great colors, inspired by the Scandinavian landscape, at 164 euros a pop. From yellow to matte black these little pendants are the perfect accompaniment to almost any room in the house. 7. The Swedish designed, Unfold Pendant by Form us With Love, exhibits clean lines and a sharp look at $160. Made of silicon rubber, the shade actually folds down to fit into a small box, which then “unfolds” upon opening.8. From $19 to $149 the West Elm Industrial Pendant embodies a classic, yet modern aesthetic, in a vairety of pop-art colors and sizes. 9. At $10 the simple IKEA Melodi Pendant provides an elegant form, suitable for numerous applications.10. Starting at 169 euros, the 1967 Gubi Semi Pendant, by Danish architects Claus Bonderup and Torsten Thorup shows off its sexy form in various colors.
What’s better than one gorgeous pendant making a dynamic impact in one of your favorite rooms of your house? Why, several gorgeous pendants, all working together to create a unique-to-you lighting arrangement sure to brighten up any space.
Shop the Look: 8-Light Kitchen Island Pendant at Wayfair, $349.99
34. A cool wood light fixture transforms the standard kitchen island in Cathy and Tony’s home into swanky breakfast nook.
26. In the market for a Scandi-style light fixture that supplies plenty of overhead light for your kitchen? Gooseneck track lights such as these in Claes and Melinda’s home tour, look ultra modern and minimalist but provide ample kitchen lighting.
MORE MULTIPLE PENDANT INSPIRATION ON APARTMENT THERAPY:• Small Space Lighting Solution: Multiple Pendant Lamps• Good Questions: At What Height Should a Pendant Hang Above a Table?• Roundup: Pendant Lamps Without Hard Wiring• Kathleen Hills: Cluster Pendant Lights
Shop the Look: Ellerbe Sconce at Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co., $229
Shop the Look: Globe Electric Multi-Joint Metal Clamp Desk Lamp in Black at Bed Bath and Beyond, $20
9. Anna Bond’s home on A Cup of Jo is serious #goals, and while there are so many, many things we could pull out to talk about here, for the sake of this post, we’ll note the task-style wall sconces. A bit unexpected, and oh so wonderful.
Shop the Look: Industrial Mini Pendant Light in Bare Bulb Style at Beautiful Halo, $29
2. Matte black and overscale pendants stand out in this all-white kitchen, yet tie in the faucet and dining chairs in the nearby dining area.
Shop the Look: Globe Electric Black Vintage Adjustable Plug-In Pendant (Set of 3) at Lighting Direct, $39
Shop the Look: Ivanhoe Sky Chief Warehouse Porcelain Pendant at Barn Light Electric Co., $153
6. Love the functionality of the track lighting in your kitchen but in need of a more modern look? This clever DIY from Lauren and Danny’s home tour proves all you need is the right adapter and some bare bulbs for an updated track lighting scheme.
So why get more than one pendant light to hang over a counter, dining table or other awesome spot? Well, you might just need more light. Or you might also realize the stunning influence multiple fixtures can have together. This is a trend that surfaces every few years and we really like it. Here are some tips and ideas on the subject:
Shop the Look: Juliette Gold with Black Shade Buffet Table Lamp Set of 2 at Lamps Plus, $80
Shop the Look: Carmen 4-light Pendan at Birch Lane, $87 (plus hot pink spray paint!)
5. This crystal and gold stunner we saw on Style Me Pretty creates a luxe kitchen scene that draws from the room’s metallic hardware.
Shop the Look: Ceiling Light Pendant Hanging Fixture at Amazon, $44
No matter what size your kitchen may be, you should put stock in the ability that an unexpected (and super stylish) light fixture can have to up the personality of your space. From eye-catching chandeliers to hard-working sconces, read ahead for unique kitchen lighting ideas (plus shoppable get-the-look comps) that will have you thinking twice about your outdated track lights.
24. A far-reaching double sconce, like this one in a kitchen from SF Girl by Bay, moves from dining table to kitchen sink with ease.
Shop the Look: Gooseneck Black Linear Track Head at Home Depot, $29
10. Classic white subway tile gets a modern upgrade when paired with two gold-accented wall sconces. The clear glass domes in this kitchen makeover from Domino keep things upbeat but not visually cluttered.
Shop the Look: Antique Brass Nautical LED Pendant Light with Frosted Diffuser at Beautiful Halo, $127
27. A slender brass light juxtaposes a monolithic waterfall island in the home of Julia and Matt Stephenson.
Uniform versus random If you get the exact same light fixture and repeat it several times, it’ll project a powerful modern aesthetic with a strong feeling of harmony. Decide to incorporate different shapes or light fixtures in one grouping and you’ll give off a more casual, bohemian feeling. Consider the same rule with different kinds of lights as you might implement with different kinds of dining room chairs around a table: find something for each to have in common to connect them all aesthetically (like color, size or material).
Shop the Look: Copper Shade Pendant Lamp at France & Son, $89
18. If you’re going to do one clamp sconce, why not go ahead and try multiple? A clean line of clamped anglepoise-style lights installed above the kitchen sink (like these pendant sconces we spotted on Appunti di Casa) provides plenty of light for food prep for a fraction of the cost of swankier sconces.
22. Metallic ceiling fixtures, like these copper spheres we spotted on L’ Appartement Living, transform a whitewashed kitchen into a modern minimalist scene in seconds.
Shop the Look: Essence Linear Suspension at Lightology, $339
Shop the Look: Geometric Tri LED Pendant at Design Within Reach, $1,990
Shop the Look: Mirror Ball Pendant Light 10” at France & Son, $125
23. A trio of shapely brass pendants brings a bold graphic element to a room full of box-like shapes like the kitchen. While the ones in this space from Domino are likely Tom Dixon’s super $$$ Beat Lights, the idea to mix and match shapes and sizes is one to inspire shaking things up.
30. Open shelving gives you the room to load up on super chic sconces, and we’re loving the mix of black and gold in this space from Studio McGee.
20. If you’re looking for a way to liven up a bland white kitchen, consider a single pendant lamp in a sprightly color, like the one we saw on Stephan and Amy Saxton’s home tour.
32. Modernize your entire kitchen with one eye-catching light fixture (or a few to make it look robust), like these hanging pendants we saw on Domino.
13. A metallic globe light, like this silver ball we spotted in Kelly Ransom’s kitchen, modernizes a traditional kitchen with its sophisticated silhouette and bold finish.
Multiple lights means the power to manipulate the feel of the space Place the fixtures close together and you have a energetic bundle of decor that will infuse a space with energy. Spread multiple fixtures out and they’ll elicit a more calming and relaxing feel on the space.
25. Who could have something bad to say about track lighting when it looks like the unit in this kitchen spotted on My Domaine.
The evolution of industrial style pendants over the past century has inspired a wealth of modern designs. From antique to new, these bell-shaped fixtures provide a wide range of options, along with a myriad of solutions for the home.
Shop the Look: Spiral Glass Jar Ceiling Light at Overstock, $115
1. The sconce is often overlooked for places other than a hallway or bedside table. It can really add a nice unexpected touch to a space like the kitchen. Take a cue from Caroline Kilmartin’s home tour on Domino and employ a single brass sconce to shed some light on your kitchen shelving and liven up an all-white scene.
33. It’s hard to pick out one showstopper in this stunning kitchen by Veneer Designs on My Domaine, but if you pull our arm, it would definitely have to be that gorgeous, peculiar chandelier over the island. It doesn’t come cheap (as we can’t imagine this kitchen does), but it sure does make a statement.
29. Forge some subtle definition for your earth-toned kitchen by suspending a single pendant lamp (in the same finish as your other kitchen fixtures) above your sink as we saw in Rachael and Rob’s Philadelphia home.
Multiple or cluster There are two basic types of arrangements when it comes to incorporating a number of pendant lights in the same area. You can go for a cluster, a sort of tight mix of several pendants usually hanging from the same spot, or you could also just spread out pendants hanging from different points on the ceiling for an effect.
Height plays a huge part Hang them all at the same height and distance and your space will feel clean, crisp and in control. Hung at different heights and at random distances and you’ll project an exciting, unexpected feel to a room. Explore the idea of placing randomly-hung pendants in a really stark, modern space and perfectly aligned pendants in a really casual space to see the contrast that can be created.
12. An eye-catching pendant in a bright hue, like this geometrical one on Style Me Pretty, turns a classic white kitchen into a cool place to hang out in no time.